Saturday, January 8, 2011

Audrey Hepburn

Audrey Hepburn




            She seemed flawless at the time, as if nothing could make me see her imperfections no matter how hard I tried to look or how eager I was to find one flaw in her. It was as if I was blinded by her beauty that I was unable to look past the surface. When you’re a child you just take in what ever is put in front of you. I remember the first time I watched an Audrey Hepburn movie, I can recall it was Breakfast At Tiffany’s. My eyes glistened every time the beautiful Miss.Golightly appeared on the screen. I have never seen such grace, beauty and style summed up in one place. Audrey Hepburn mesmerized me even when I only knew her as Holly Golightly and to this day I can assure you, my admiration for her didn’t lessen in any way.

            Audrey Hepburn is a talented performer, a remarkable actress and one of Hollywood’s greatest style icons.  Audrey Hepburn was born in Belgium by the name of Audrey Kathleen Ruston. She grew up in Netherlands but after Nazis invaded her hometown, Audrey and her mother were forced to flee the country. She reportedly helped the resistance movement by delivering messages, according to an article in The New York Times. After the war, Audrey’s interest in dance lead her to pursue ballet in Arnhem then she moved to London to continue to pursue her career as a dancer. She appeared in several European productions before landing her breakout role in the Broadway show “Gigi”. Audrey’s talent was easily spotted by Hollywood and in the next couple if years Audrey starred in “Roman Holiday”. Many were stunned by Audrey’s imitation of the role of princess Anne that won her an Academy Award for Best Actress for this performance. In the next decade Audrey starred in many blockbusters such as Sabrina, Breakfast At Tiffany’s, Charade, My Fair Lady and so much more. Her easily gained fame made her one of Hollywood’s most beloved icons. After starring in many roles and winning many awards, Audrey decided to take another path in her life. She became a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF in the late 1980s. Hepburn traveled the world to help the less unfortunate and in hope of raising awareness about children in need. She empathized for what it was like to be hungry and go on for days without food from the journeys she went with the UNICEF organization. Making more than 50 trips, Hepburn visited UNICEF projects in Asia, Africa, and Central and South America. She later won a special Academy Award for her humanitarian work in 1993 unfortunately she died before she could to receive it. Audrey died on January 20, 1993, at her home in Switzerland after struggling with colon cancer. Her work to help children around the world continues. Audrey’s children established The Audrey Hepburn Memorial Fund children to continue Hepburn's humanitarian work in 1994.



          Audrey won twenty eight awards and was nominated for another twenty four but it isn’t the amount of awards that exalts her, matter of fact, it is her noble acts of kindness that makes her unique than most of the Hollywood actors of that time.  It is hard to find beauty, elegance and chivalry all summoned in one place but it was easy to find in the great Audrey Hepburn.





“Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others.”-Audrey Hepburn
“I never think of myself as an icon. What is in other people’s mind is not in my mind. I just do my thing” –Audrey Hepburn





“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone. – Audrey Hepburn



No comments:

Post a Comment