Friday, June 14, 2013

Pride and Disbelief

It is often assumed that Islam is a religion of hatred, prejudice and terrorism. This stereotype has been amplified and misunderstood by many. The truth is however to the contrary. Islam is in fact a religion of kindness, of justice and most importantly peace.

It's saddening to the Muslim community when a person commits violent attacks in the name of Islam. It is truly appalling, when an individual's action's  become a representation and misunderstanding of a  majority. Many Muslims grow up learning the virtues of Islam such as the five pillars, the manners expected of a Muslim and the list goes on and on. However, not every Muslim is lucky enough to receive the correct interpretation of the religion itself. As a child I was always taught to respect everyone, regardless of age, race and place in society. I was always taught to never look down upon anyone, for arrogance was the first sin to be committed. I learned at a very young age to stand up for what is right and not shy away from stating the truth. I am who I am today because of my religion. I only strive to be better because that's the kind of morals that Islam entrusts upon me as a Muslim.
In a modern globalized society, ideologies, concepts, culture and common stereotypes intertwine to form the knowledge of many. How can we as a global community progress when stereotypical accusations torment minorities each day? I am a proud Muslim but I am not proud of the Muslims who kill wrongly in the name of Islam. It's ironic because these people's actions contradict the point of Islam. And the point of Islam is to promote and preach peace.

I speak on behalf of every Muslim who loves their religion and hopes that Islam could be viewed by not just the actions of an individual but by the principles of the religion as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment